This Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread is sure to fix your craving for sweet and chocolaty. So good even the fussiest of “I’m not eating vegetables!” kids will devour it with no idea whats actually in it. You can use green or yellow Zucchinis (Courgettes) and there is no need to peel them. As an added bonus these make great freezer fillers for late winter snacking.
Triple Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 9" Extra Deep Loaf Pan
- Stand Mixer
- Parchment Paper
- 2 cups Zucchini Coarsely grated no need to peel
- 2 Eggs Large
- 2/3 cup Shortening softened
- 2 tbsp Molasses
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 cups Flour All Purpose
- 1 tsp Salt Fine
- 2 tsp Cinnamon Ground
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips Semi Sweet or Milk Chocolate
- 1 cup Butter Salted, melted allow to cool before mixing
- 3 cups Icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 tbsp Whipping Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease Loaf Pan and Line with Parchment paper, be sure to leave enough paper over hanging on the long sides so that you can grip it to lift the finished loaf out of the pan while it is still hot. If using a square pan leave enough to grip on all four sides so that you are able to lift diagonal corners to remove it.
- Grate fresh Zucchini into large mixing bowl, no need to peel, green or yellow is fine. If using a large zucchini slice in half and use a spoon to remove seeds first, there is no need to do this for small or medium zucchinis.
- Add the remaining Wet Ingredients including the sugar to the zucchini and blend until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients and mix together well, do not add Chocolate Chips yet.
- Add the dry ingredients half a cup at a time to the wet ingredients by sprinkling lightly over the batter while mixing on low speed with a hand/stand mixer until all of the dry ingredients have been added.
- Add Chocolate Chips and mix on low or with a spatula to get them well incorporated through the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pans leaving about half an inch from top. Lift the pan and tap it gently on the counter to get the batter to settle well in the pan and remove air pockets caused by folds in the parchment.
- (Loaf Pans) Bake on middle shelf of oven for 45-50 minutes in a convection oven 50-60 minutes in a standard oven.(Square Cake Pans) Bake on Middle shelf of oven for 30-40 minutes.Check it is baking evenly and turn if necessary after 30 minutes if one side/end is baking faster. Test centre of Loaf using a tooth pick to see if it is done. (No dough will stick, but watch out for melted chocolate chips). Times may vary slightly depending on type of loaf pan, those with narrower bottoms will cook faster in the centre than wide bottom ones. Check every 5 mins after the 45 min mark to avoid over cooking.
- For Frosting; Mix Frosting ingredients sift the dry ingredients together first and then add the wet to the dry ingredients. Begin mixing by hand with a spatula or fork to start (to avoid sugar clouds and huge mess on your counter) and finishing by whipping with a hand or stand mixer until smooth. If frosting is too wet add additional icing sugar one tablespoon at a time mixing between additions until desired consistency is reached.
- Once fully baked, place pan on cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before lifting the loaf out. Lift the loaf by gripping the long sides of the parchment paper and lifting it out of the pan and directly on to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool until it is easy to handle comfortably. Once cool enough, leaving the parchment paper attached, wrap the loaf in cling film or a plastic bag and place in the freezer. Once the loaf is frozen it is ready to be frosted, you can remove it from the freezer frost it, pop it back in the freezer unwrapped for ten minutes to set the frosting and then rewrap it for long term storage, the better it is wrapped the longer it will last!
- Remove from freezer approximately 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Slices can be warmed in the microwave and buttered or served as a cake like dessert with frosting.